Sunday, February 1, 2009

Organized Learnin' on a Half-Dream Supreme

So I successfuly completed my 1stweek of  2nd semester at Cal State Long Beach. Indeed, John was correct-I would get used to the walking. Despite my many attempts to get a certain number of goals completed before the beginning of the semester, I'm glad I have a full schedule to keep my unemployed, fat and lazy brown ass from keeling over in utter boredom (or gout pain..yeah..I have gout and because of my elite internet detective skills I figured out the culprit of my latest flare-up was none other than 8th Continent Soy Milk).

As a 22-year-old Journalism major (film minor) it really grinded my collegiate gears when I couldn't get into Media Ethics. I thought, hey, since the waiting list was purged, maybe I can successfully add in-class. Well I couldn't, and in front of a bunch of classmates I already knew I was told I could bolt for the door. I did and successfully saved enough face to take another class unscathed: Music and Film. I have three other Bosco alumni in this class, and let's hope, for the best of me that I don't destroy anyones lives from chaos....lol. Here's to completing Capstones....I think.

Alright...I lied...upon heading for the door after the Media Ethics fiasco, my rotund physique couldn't manuever around the tightly packed students and I mumbled and fumbled like a Filipino Woody Allen. I swear, I kept asking if it was possible to move a bolted-down podium in an almost half-sweaty attempt to Pac-man my way outta there. All hyphens aside, I would have to say this week was too bad.

On Friday, John and I finally had a taste of local Americana when we stopped in for lunch at the REAL M &M Soul Food on Carson St. inside the Cal Bowl strip mall. We each had the two-piece fried chicken with red bean and rice meal which came with 2 cornbread muffins each. Honestly, if a pre-pubescent ANGEL went to Dashboard Confessional shown after breaking-up with her winged partner and then produced enough tears to boil into a feast fit for two grown men...I'm sure it would have been the exact materialization of said 2-piece chicken meal. The chicken was properly deep fried to perfection without the use of overbreading as a crutch, the red beans (which probably weren't to kind to my gout) and rice were moist, creamy, and drenched in southern comfort. I've had cornbread before, but I was wondering how M&M managed to fit rainbows and stars into the muffins.

Seriously. Good stuff.

Anyway, as my non-football watching ass waits for the Super Bowl (hey...I watch THIS event at least) I might venture with my (now-napping) father to the local Fresh & Easy to obtain some cherry juicy as to procure the future of my uric acid levels. Long live good walking health. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment